The need for organized EMS in India was grave, as statistics revealed:*
- The global ratio for road traffic accidents is 0.75 accidents per 1000 vehicles. In India, that number is 16 accidents per 1000 vehicles.
- By 2020, it is estimated that India will have the highest number of cardio-vascular patients in the world.
- By 2025, India will be the diabetes capital of the world.
- India is one of the world’s most disaster prone areas. Almost 57 percent of the land is vulnerable to earthquake, 68 percent to drought, 8 percent to cyclones, 12 percent to floods.
- Man-made disasters, too, are one of India’s unfortunate realities.
*Source: World Health Organization (WHO)