Sedentary lifestyle has always been talked about but, the pandemic has brought it to the center stage. The has left a lot of people with working from home, which has had a major impact on the lifestyle. Working long hours, having meetings one after another, not eating and sleeping properly have become a very normal thing. The pandemic did make us realize that only a healthy lifestyle could help the humans live a longer and stay happier. But not a lot of people have started to work around to stay healthy.
What is sedentary lifestyle?
We often keep hearing the term “Sedentary lifestyle”, but do we know what exactly is it? Sedentary lifestyle is often termed as sitting or lying down doing activities like socializing, watching television, playing video games, using mobile phones, sitting, and working on computer for long hours, etc. Studies have shown that leading a sedentary lifestyle for long can lead to:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- Early death
- Increased levels of anxiety and depression
- Faltering memory
Here are some signs that you are not moving enough, and you need to get active:
- You fall short of the global health recommendations: The general recommendation is to reduce a prolonged sedentary behavior to less than 1 hour. To reduce the inactivity, one should keep moving. After one hour of inactivity, one should aim for 6-7 minutes of activity.
- You send more than half of your waking hours not moving- if you keep sitting more than half of the time while you are up then this is a cause of worry, and you should start working around it.
- You feel fatigued all the time: Feeling dull and tired is a sign that you are not moving enough and that the body needs energy.
- You have recently noticed changes in your body weight and metabolism rate: Sudden increase on weight or increase in the appetite could mean that you are moving towards being obese due to lack of activity.
- You often feel very winded: If climbing stairs or running makes your breath short then its time for you to take care of your body.
- You cannot sleep properly or have a sound sleep while you sleep: Sound sleep is very important to have a good day, But if you cant sleep at night or are very restless, then this is a sign that you are not moving enough and you need to get it straight.
Sitting for long hours and working on the screen or computer can also lead to the loss in eyesight or other diseases related to the eye. After the pandemic, people have been living a very sedentary lifestyle that has led to a very unhealthy lifestyle, untimely deaths etc. But we can cure this, by constantly moving and not keeping still while working.
Working long hours does not have any other alternative but taking breaks and keeping active is the least we can do. There are some other thigs that you can do:
- Increasing physical activity
- Taking public transport instead of a private vehicle
- Making sure to get up every 30-45 minutes and move around the room/office
- Exercising at least 5 times a week
- Eating healthy and nutritious food
How are women impacted with a sedentary lifestyle?
As per a research women who lead a sedentary lifestyle age nearly eight times more than women who are involved in physical work. Such lifestyle affects the females most severely. Menopausal symptoms, PCOD, miscarriages, depression and anxiety.
About Ziqitza Healthcare Ltd (Ziqitza Rajasthan)
Since 2005, Ziqitza healthcare has been India’s largest emergency medical services provider. We are a pioneer in providing EMS services to hospitals, the government and corporate clients across India and the Gulf, including ambulances, medical mobile units, telemedicine and helplines.
Being in the healthcare industry Ziqitza limited Rajasthan knows the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle and keeping fit. They also firmly believe and promote exercising 5 days a week and constantly keeping on the move.
Ziqitza limited’s vision and mission is to enhance and improve human lives. Ziqitza has also been recognized by the World Economic forum for doing some exceptional work during the pandemic. Please contact Ziqitza healthcare limited or visit our website, Ziqitza limited to know more.