108 is the National Emergency Ambulance Number operated by the Indian Government in Public-Private Partnership with emergency service providers like Ziqitza HealthCare Ltd. Have you ever wondered why the number 108 was selected and not 234 or 555 or any other number? We’re sure you must have given it a thought at least once. Even if you haven’t, you would certainly be interested in knowing about it now. Like many of our Indian names and numbers, the selection of the 108 emergency number is rooted not only in our mythology but also in various scientific as well as psychological aspects.
Our India is rich in culture. Every little thing, activity or action is given a meaning in our cultural study. There is always a fact behind good things. Similarly, we consider ‘Saving Life’ as our holy activity. Choosing 108 emergency number also have interesting fact. Let’s have a look at the possible aspects that buttress 108 as an emergency ambulance.
108 Emergency Number
For any emergencies, 108 is a one-solution emergency number. Whether it’s police, fire, or ambulance service. 108 emergency numbers will help you with all casualties. This service is now available in 18 states of India. i.e. Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Meghalaya, Punjab, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh.
108 emergency number is not just a random number it has scientific and spiritualistic importance in our Indian culture.
- Auspicious aspect: In Hinduism and Buddhism, the number 108 is believed to have mystical connotations. The sadhus use malas for incantation, which consist of 108 beads. One japa can be completed by chanting the mantra 108 times, which is measured by the 108 beads in the mala. Gods in Hinduism are considered to have 108 names too.
In Christianity, ‘in truth’ and ‘to forgive’ are used 108 times in revised versions of the Bible. Also, 108 is considered an angel number. It is believed as a message of support and encouragement.
- Yogshakti: While practising yoga or meditation, 108 has immense importance as it refers to spiritual completion. During pranayama 108 is the ideal number to complete the cycle. Sun salutation often performs in nine rounds of 12 postures, totaling 108. Nature affects our mentality and focus so meditation gets affected by natural elements such as the sun and its movements. Here we can see the interrelation between 108 and meditation.
- Science: The scientific explanation for 108’s significance is surprising. The earth’s diameter at the equator is 7926 miles, while the sun’s diameter is about 108 times, which is 865,000. The average or midpoint distance between Earth and the sun is 93,020,000 miles, which is 108 times the sun’s diameter.
The moon’s diameter is 2,180 miles. The average distance from Earth to the moon is 238,800 miles. Again, this is about 108 times the moon’s diameter!
All of these calculative aspects make 108 a special number. And since the sun, moon, and earth are considered the real source of life in our galaxy, 108 emergency number is rightly selected to save lives in critical situations.
- Energy lines or Ayurvedic explanation: It is believed that the human soul undergoes 108 stages on a journey. Chakras in Ayurveda are nothing but the points at which energy lines intersect. It is said that there are altogether 108 energy lines that converge to form the heart chakra and each of these chakras nourishes the physical body and mind.
In Ayurveda, there are ‘108 Marma’ points that are prerequisite to giving life to a living being. In Karate, the ultimate Gōjū-ryū kata, Suparinpei, literally translates to 108 in the Chinese language. Even in the Tantras, there is a mention of this number, which is why most consider 108 as a number with sacred origins and apt for emergency ambulance numbers.
- Law: The uncanny similarity between the numbers for emergency medical services also extends to the legal discipline. Section 108 of the Indian Evidence Act, 1872 refers to the guide for the presumption of a person’s death if there is a lack of evidence. If the person is not heard from for seven years, then to prove that the person is dead, section 108 is invoked.
- Psychology: 108 is also psychologically enabling a person to remember during a crisis. When we see the dial pad, our eyes automatically look at the left end of the screen to the first number, gradually go down (to 0), and then move to the left (to 8). Another explanation also talks about how culturally one refers to the male counterpart, 0 to the feminine which is the sole proprietor of the circle of life and 8 to infinity or eternity, which means ‘everything’. Thus, life can be experienced in one thing, nothing, and everything depending upon the different states of consciousness.
108 Ambulance History
108 is the toll-free number for an initiative called emergency management. The initiative of providing emergency service at one desk was taken by Satyam Ramlingaraju in 2005 in Hyderabad. Dr A.P. Ranga Rao has designed 108 EMRI services. Later the Indian government collided with private organizations to run 108 emergency numbers. The tendering process in India was started in the Year 2007, Ziqitza Healthcare Limited was operating 108 medical emergency services all over India since 2009.
Our special highlights:
- Odisha was the first state to launch the boat ambulance by Ziqitza Healthcare Limited (ZHL) for remote areas.
- We provide two types of ambulances ALS (advanced life support) and BLS (basic life support) to enhance emergency service.
- Ziqitza Healthcare Limited started operating Dial 112 along with 108 emergency number services. This Dial 112 is in a similar model to the 911 model. One can reach out to police, health, fire, and other services by just dialing one helpline number.
108 is a number subconsciously imbibed in all of us human beings as an emergency ambulance number by emergency healthcare providers like Ziqitza HealthCare, whose efforts to make a difference in India’s emergency medical services landscape have paid off. This in itself is a strong reason for you or anyone to be a first responder and call 108 whenever you witness an emergency.